The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I love to post all the cute, uplifting things my kids do. And there are plenty of them. But I get tired (and discouraged!) hearing about how everyone else has it all together while I'm, well, having Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad days. And there are also plenty of those. So for the sake of being "real," I will tell you that we are in the middle of a string of T.H.N.G.V.B. days. Blah. My children have shredded books, written on the walls, thrown toys, punched each other, stepped on their sister, refused meals out of certain bowls, cried and fussed until they were held indefinitely, thrown tantrums over wanting to wear shorts, refused to go to bed, and on and on and on. But if I'm being real, I have to also admit to my own share of misdeeds. I've shouted, nagged, pleaded, confiscated, time-outed, responded sarcastically, ignored, sighed unnecessarily, and griped well beyond what was justified. It has not been a shining week for anyone in this little family, except maybe Micah who has swooped in more than once to rescue me and make peace. Yesterday I ran some errands with Cora and as I drove I griped and recited a list in my head of all the things that had gone wrong so far that day. I didn't gripe. I fumed. I got to the end of my list (although in the mood I was in, I'm sure I could have kept going), and found myself thinking, "It has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

My husband says some days are like that, even in Marion.

I almost laughed out loud as I realized how much I sounded like the grouchy Alexander in the children's book. It at least made me smile.

If you haven't read the book, here it is. It's a very real (albeit moody) little book that's a good reminder: some days are like that for all of us. That's just life. Maybe tomorrow will be different. Let's hope!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more