Preschool Preview

Henry's been counting down the days all week.  Today we went to see his new preschool.  He won't be starting until August, but they offered us the chance to come visit beforehand and he was excited to go.  He got himself all dressed early this morning.  He came into my room beaming, "Mom, I thought I'd look kind of fun today."  He was wearing a green long-sleeved shirt, a navy polo, clip-on blue and grey striped tie, grey shorts, and brown crocs.  From the proud look on his face, all I could imagine saying was, "You look really sharp, Henry."  I'll share the pictures I took in a minute.

We left a little early so we could have a "date" at Starbucks beforehand.  He told everyone we met that we were headed to his preschool to check it out.  We sat and sipped our drinks and chatted, and then drove out to Mt. Olive Preschool.

After seeing all of the classrooms (he wanted to stay and play in each of them), we spent some time in what will be his classroom next year.  He was in love!  They had crafts hanging from the ceiling and covering the walls.  The kids were in the process of magnet painting and making cards.  They had action figures, trains, and a bin full of dirt for the kids to dig through to find toy bugs.  They had mesh tents where they'd watched caterpillars transform into butterflies.  They had a playground full of fun things.  He was transfixed.  It came as no surprise that as we were leaving, he asked if he could start school tomorrow.  It might be a long summer of waiting...

Meanwhile, some of us are not coping as well with the prospect of preschool.  Thomas was in tears this morning, devastated that he couldn't come with us to "the Police school."  He's convinced that's where Henry's going--I guess it does sound a little like preschool.  He's not the only one crying.  As I kissed them goodnight last night before going to bed, it dawned on me that a season of parenthood is ending.  Our time of having Henry home all the time is very quickly coming to a close.  It doesn't seem like that long ago that he was Cora's age and the days ahead of us felt endless.  *Sniff*  I knew the toddler and preschool years were fleeting, but even knowing that they would go by quickly, they really have flown by.  I'm ready for the next chapter, but as with every part of motherhood, this is a bittersweet moment in my journey.

But enough sadness.  I'll close with the picture(s) I took of him before we left.  I just wanted one snapshot of him in his outfit, beaming.  For posterity's sake.  This is what I got: several shots of his "Henry smirk" before he finally, almost, smiled for the camera.  What a ham...







Popular Posts

Archive

Show more