Thoughts on Garage Sale-ing and Ordained Days

Today was a fun family day.  We began the day by getting donuts from our local donutery (under the pretense, of course, of taking some up to Micah's Pappy--any excuse will do).  Then we made our way to a neighbouring town for their town-wide garage sales.  In our travels, we came across a miniature drum set for Thomas (I'm sure we'll regret this day, but it was just too perfect to pass up!) and a Spiderman two-wheeler for Henry.

Now we're up in Fort Wayne for the next several days staying with Micah's grandfather.  All five of us are sleeping up in his parents' attic bedroom.  The kids are camped out all in a row on the floor (although Cora has some walls around her particular area of the room...).  Tonight at bedtime we were all laying there snuggling when I had a sudden thought, "We have just enough time together."

It sounds a little silly and probably out of the blue, but I've lived much of my mothering life in fear of time.  I'm afraid it'll pass to quickly, be too short, take too long...  I fret over it constantly.  But tonight, with that little thought, I had an overwhelming sense of peace.  There will be just enough days for us in each of these stages, so I can relax and enjoy them.

"Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."  Psalm 139:16

Our days were ordained long ago.  I don't need to fret or worry or cling to them.  They are what they are--already set and fixed.  I can't tell you exactly why, but I feel like it frees me to be a better mother!

Of course, I interrupted this post four times to re-tuck my kids.  There are still some times that ought to pass more quickly than others....

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more