Caught Between A Rock and Green Plaid Pants

We've always given our kids pretty free reign over what clothes they wear.  There are times, of course, when we step in.  But over all it's been a battle we've chosen not to fight.  And I love seeing the things they come up with to wear.  Their outfits look like "them"--Henry in his shirts, ties, and vests; and Thomas in his sports gear and mis-matched shorts.  After all, they're only little once.

It never mattered when our biggest outings were play dates and trips to the grocery store.  But things are changing.  I posted some time ago about taking Henry to his preschool for the first time, and how excited he was about the outfit he'd picked out.  Thankfully, it was only moderately wild.  We let it slide but vowed to each other that he would have a "school wardrobe" and a "play wardrobe" to choose from to avoid those situations again.  I want them to express themselves.  They also need to learn that there are good and bad ways to do that.  It's an incredibly delicate balance.

Henry went to his first Vacation Bible School last evening, and he's in love.  He's been planning all morning how he's going to take in all of his pennies for the missionaries they're supporting, "because, Mommy, they have nothing!  All they have is a playground!"  They showed the kids a picture of the missionary family taken on a playground.  He marched out of his room a few minutes ago, beaming, and announced that he was all dressed up for Bible School tonight.  He was wearing a blue dress shirt, blue and grey striped tie, grey tweed vest, and green plaid pants.  He's since added a superhero cape and super drawers.  I'm all about free expression.  I'm also all about not seeing my child laughed at when he walks into the room.  And so the delicate dance begins.  Lucky for me, the weather works in my favor today.  With any luck I can convince him it's too hot for all those layers.

Maybe the conversation is inevitable.  I don't want my children growing up thinking that what everyone else thinks of them matters that greatly.  I also don't want to see them laughed at and teased.  They need to know there's a time and place for conformity.  But I also think they should be free to express themselves.  Who knew something as simple as clothing could be so complicated?  I wish they could stay little forever sometimes!



***I just had to give a little update to our "situation."  As it turns out, he went outside to play in the water, leaving this fantastic outfit in his room.  By the time he came back inside, his sister was sleeping in the room and he was left to wear clothes from the load in the dryer.  Whew!  Saved... this time... ***

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more