Then Moses Returned to the Lord

We seem to be surrounded by the story of Moses around here lately.  Several things have coincided so that our devotions together as a couple, my reading on my own, the kids' play time (they've been playing "Moses and Pharaoh"), and their own bedtime Bible stories are all walking us through the story of the Exodus.  It's one of my favorite passages in the Bible anyway, but I've read it so many times that it's become familiar.  I've been trying to read it with fresh eyes and really imagine what it was like to go through that time without knowing the outcome.

Today I found myself reading Moses' story from the perspective of someone who is leading people.  I do not have a nation standing behind me.  But I do have three small children.  They might as well be a nation for the noise they make some days!  I've been struck by how much Moses interceded for them.  He listened to God, spoke to Him face to face, and then told the people what he had heard there.  Isn't that what godly parents should do?  He instructed them in the way they should act, the things they should say.  Isn't that a parent's role?  He led them physically through the desert, guiding them along the way.  That's what parents with a better sense of direction than I have should do.  And yet, over and over and over the people got it wrong.  They disobeyed, they strayed, they complained and bickered and argued.  Isn't that what children do?

As I read all this, it occurred to me that Moses must have felt a little bit like I do these days.  I won't pretend that we are in an easy parenting stage.  With three kids 3 1/2 years apart, all mobile, all with strong opinions about everything, these days are hard.  I often feel like Moses, crawling to God and saying, "These people you've given me..."  But that's the point.  One phrase stood out to me today in the midst of the Israelites' complaining and bickering:  "Then Moses returned to the Lord (Exodus 5:22)."  I've been turning it over and over in my mind since I read it.  I was curious: just how often does the Bible describe Moses doing something like this?  The book of Exodus is full of these moments.  Pharaoh again says no, Moses returns to God.  The Israelites are trapped between the Red Sea and the army, and Moses turns to God for help.  The people build an idol in the desert, and Moses intercedes and pleads with God for them.  Over and over and over.  The reasons change.  The outcome changes.  Sometimes he returns to God because he's had enough of the people and their complaining has worn him down.  Sometimes it's to seek clarification as the unfolding of God's plan doesn't look like what he had expected.  Sometimes it's for guidance, wisdom, provision, intercession, forgiveness...  The point is, Moses returned to God again and again as often as was needed to make him the leader these people needed.

Right now my returning to God looks something like an army crawl back to the barracks.  I'm dragging my wounded, exhausted self to His feet and saying, "These people you've given me, Lord, how on earth do I lead them?"  Sometimes it's to remind him that I have faltering lips, I do not have what it takes to lead them.  But I'm learning the importance--no, it's more than important, it's vital--of returning again and again and bringing my questions, my discouragement, my anger to Him.

And the people?  They were not perfect.  In fact, Moses and the Israelites together made plenty of mistakes.  Maybe it would be wise to bear that in mind these days too.  I guess we are all a work in progress.  Meanwhile, I'll keep dragging my worn-down self back to the source of wisdom, grace, and provision, asking for what I need--what we need--in each situation.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more