Discipline's Demise

Goodness knows I've been lacking patience lately.  Some of it is my own doing.  I've let outside stressors influence and interfere with my ability to be a good mom.  Some of it has absolutely been my children's doing.  As sweet and wonderful as they are, having three children under four under my care around the clock takes its toll over time.

Today, however, has been different.  Henry woke me up just after 7 this morning (they have to stay in their room until "7-0-0," as they say).  He was dressed in a red plaid shirt, blue striped tie, and green plaid bell-bottom pants.  "Hey, Mom, it's morning.  I stayed in my room all the way until 7 and now I'm dressed and ready to get up!"  Thomas wasn't far behind, chattering excitedly about something or other.  My mind was too foggy to remember.  Cora was sitting up in her crib, chunky thighs wedged between the bars, singing a little long to herself.  It's been a good morning.

At naptime, Henry was given the option to read or sleep.  As always, he chose to read.  But he was having a hard time staying quiet and remembering that "naptime" means "Stay in your room and give me 45 minutes of peace and quiet."  At least that's my interpretation of that part of our day.  So I finally went in and told him he'd lost the chance to read and needed to sleep.  I laid down beside him for a little while to help him quiet down.  Partway through, I heard Thomas' door open. Another naptime battle.  I told Henry to stay where he was and not set one toe on the floor while I re-tucked Thomas.

I got Thomas settled and came back to my room to find my bed empty.  "Great," I thought.  "So much for our great, obedient day."  I looked around the room for a minute before I finally spotted what part of him was still visible.  I looked down and found a head sticking out from under my bed.  Only a head, because that was the only part of himself he couldn't squeeze under the mattress.  I told him in my sternest voice, my head turned to the side so he couldn't see my smile, that he had exactly five seconds to get back into bed.  I laid down beside him still trying to hide the smile.  It was only a few minutes before he fell asleep.

And this is how it goes these days.  I try my hardest to stay firm, and often come across as overly stern.  And then, some little antic...  Discipline meets its demise often these days...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more