Stay this size

Every once in a while, you stumble upon a stage that is absolutely entrancing.  Thomas is in one of those.  I thought it was just me, until Micah started making comments about how every little thing he does is adorable.  The way he chews his food, the way he drums on everything, the way he walks with a bounce in his step, like he has a theme song always running through his little head.  The conversations with him--real conversations!--and the wacky ideas he comes up with when he's playing.  That little look of pride when he's accomplished something new, and that teasing grin when he knows he's up to no good.  I love all of it--ALL of it!  Even the fits have their cuteness.  Sometimes I sneak into his room at night when he's sound asleep, clutching his little blankie and snoring like a grizzly bear.  I just watch him and marvel at how someone can have me so enraptured when all he's doing is being himself.

If I could freeze Thomas right here, I would do it in a heartbeat.  But then I think ahead to all the stages yet to come, to the discoveries he'll make, to the aspects of his personality that have yet to emerge.  It's a little bittersweet to think of moving on from this stage, but that time will come.  I'm just doing my best to fill my mind with memories, simple little memories, to savor in the years to come.

There's so much about him at 21 months that is just "so Thomas."  For me, it's epitomized in the shoes he wears with everything:  little saddle shoes.  He's almost outgrown them.  He wears them with dress clothes, jeans, track pants...  He stomps around in them to hear the sound they make and dances a little Fred Astaire-style jig when he hears music.  I think they will be tucked safely away on the last day I can squeeze his little feet in them, as a reminder of the bliss that this stage has brought.

*Sigh*  Maybe it's the hormones, but I get a little misty-eyed at the gift that is raising these children.  Sometimes the depth of wonder and love catches you off-guard, and you find yourself clinging to those moments, praying they would never end!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more