A Brave New World

I looked out from the kitchen this evening to find our boys racing around the living room, arms stretched wide, making perfect airplane sounds.  Thomas held in his hand the rocks he'd discovered on our way in from the car.  Henry was busy explaining the importance of wheels in a smooth landing, and asking Thomas if he was sure he had good wheels on his airplane.  This has been my world for 3 1/2 years, and I have loved every minute of it.  Honestly, there's something epic (and sometimes even barbaric!) about raising boys.  My world has been filled with dinosaurs, trains, and knights.  We live in a college residence hall with over 200 male college students.  I literally have one corner in our bedroom, my "girl corner," with flowers and bluebirds.  The rest of my universe is completely male-dominated.  I have come to love it.  My husband and I are passionate about raising our sons to be Godly men, passionate about having an impact on the college guys we share our lives with.  So when we found out we were pregnant earlier this fall, I assumed my world would go on in shades of blue and green.

Until yesterday.

"It looks to me like you have a girl."

I think I asked four times if the ultrasound tech was serious.  I know I asked three times if she was sure. I laughed, "I honestly thought I would never hear those words!"  I looked at my husband and laughed nervously.  "A girl!  Us!  We're having a girl?"  He grinned back and looked about as stunned as I felt.

By the time we got to the waiting room, poring over our ultrasound pictures and those words, "I'm a GIRL!," I was shaking.  I couldn't stop grinning.  I have loved raising boys, and I would have loved raising three of them.  But I've always dreamed of a little girl to do all those "girl things" with. Of course, I'm not a girlie girl.  My life with boys has probably been fitting.  I can't walk in high heels, I never learned to style my hair, and I always, ALWAYS smudge my nails within five minutes of painting them.  Still, the possibilities were endless for the fun my daughter and I could have together.

Henry had been sure the baby was a boy, and Thomas was positive it was a tiger.  We showed them the ultrasound pictures and told them the news, not sure how they would react.  After just a few seconds, Henry switched gears completely and wanted to call Grammy to tell her all about how "we're going to have a sister!"  Thomas was still stuck on the animal track and more interested in seeing his grandparents' new dog, but at 20 months, I assume time will help him warm to the idea of a sister.  Today we pulled out the few little girl things we have and filled the bottom dresser drawer, Cora's drawer, with them.  We talk about her like she's already here, and Henry is full of ideas of things he wants to do when his little sister comes.

In just over 24 hours, my world has been turned on its head.  We've had many adventures, my boys and I, but I can't help but wonder what new, unforeseen adventures are ahead for us.  We are entering a brave new world, and I can't wait to see how a little girl will fit into this crazy boy-filled life of ours!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more