Family of Five

It's slowly dawning on me (these things usually take me a while...) that our family will soon be a family of five.  As exciting as this sounds, it does come with its challenges.  For example, tonight we had burgers on the grill, potato salad, and corn on the cob.  I couldn't bring myself to pay the price for four ears of corn this early in the season, so I bought two and we split them.  As I divvied things up for supper, the thought crossed my mind, "This won't work in a while--how do you split two cobs of corn five ways?" 

Or there's the question of space.  How do you accommodate five people in an 1100 sq ft apartment?  We needed a little more space to store clothes for Cora, so we're using a dresser from my parents' house.  A wonderful addition, but we spent the bulk of the afternoon re-arranging our furniture and possessions to make things fit.  I'm happy with the end result, and we ended up with more space than I anticipated, but the thought still looms large: how do we make this work with five of us?  It's in the little things:  there are only four coat hooks by our back door.  Our table has four sides and seats four people.  Our car has two bucket seats in the middle, and a bench in the back (guess where the boys will be riding by the end of the summer...).  Everything changes with that number 5.

And yet, I can't wait.  Tonight after our walk, I looked at our shoe mat by the door.  It had four pairs of shoes, all in a row.  It just didn't look right.  Something was missing.  So I made an addition, for inspiration's sake.  I've been smiling ever since.  For as much as it might change things and inconvenience some aspects of life, I think we've always known someone was missing from our little family.  We've always been a family of five at heart.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more