Sweet Employment

All of you stay-at-home moms (past or present) will likely relate to my rambling thoughts.  I absolutely LOVE being a stay-at-home mom, and I wouldn't change it for the world!  It's not like I've done nothing but wipe noses and change diapers for the past few years.  I've had an online shop and sold some of my knitting on the side.  I've done a little writing here and there.  I've babysat and cleaned a barber shop and taken in mending.  I've never stopped working.  And yet, it's not the same.  I have not had a regular job with a scheduled paycheck, official out-of-the-house employment, since before Thomas was born.  I have loved it.  I wouldn't trade it.  But, oh, the sweet joy of having a job title!

It's not that my current job has many hours.  1-5 a week, to be exact.  It's not that it's very intensive.  Mostly just collecting and organizing forms for state compliance.  It's not even a long-term position.  I'm the Temporary Health Coordinator.  But in spite of the busyness of the last week or two, there's a little sense of freedom, of purpose.  It may not be much and it may not be significant, but I am so, so enjoying having a job, a job title, calling my husband a co-worker.  I've thrown myself into the role, and I'm thrilled to have a part to play.  It's given new perspective to everything about my days, in spite of the added hours and workload.  Sometimes we need just a little breath of outside air to refresh and renew our zeal in these long preschool years.  Sometimes 1-5 hours a week is just enough.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more