Our Hero

The first few weeks of August are absolutely crazy for Micah as he gears up for the school year.  For the past several years we smile at each other on August first and say, "See you in September!" This past week he's been to work by 7:30 and home between 8 and 10 pm, working through lunch and supper.  It's been a long week for him, and for us at home!

I can tell the kids are feeling his absence.  Every few minutes one of them whimpers, "I miss Daddy."  Henry colored a picture for Micah on Monday and has added to it every day this week.  When he realized this morning that he'd forgotten to send it to work with Micah, he asked me to put it in an envelope and mail it to his office.  Thomas came into our room this morning holding up a dress shirt and tie.  "Mom, can you help me with these?  I'm dressing up so I can try to go to work with Daddy."  Cora has been reading princess books this week.  Each time she finds a princess dancing with a prince she points, smiles, and says, "That my Daddy.  He dancing wif me."

As sad (and sappy) as the little moments are, this week has served to make me very grateful.  Grateful that they have a Daddy who drops everything when he walks in the door, gets down on his knees, and plays with them.  Grateful that he piles onto our bed with them to read them his favorite childhood books, takes them on adventures, teaches them new things.  Grateful that his schedule is not always, and not often, like this; that his family is always more important to him than any other demands.  Grateful, above all, that they have a father who is worthy of their admiration, worthy of being called their hero.




Popular Posts

Archive

Show more