Til I Entered the Sanctuary

You'll have to bear with me.  For one, this may be a lengthy post.  For another, I am no theologian.  I don't profess to be.  I am, however, desperately seeking God's voice in the midst of life lately.  Sometimes the best theology is the theology that meets us where life and God converge.

Much of life has been, well, confusing lately.  I've asked God "Why?" more times than I can count.  Not just about my life, but about the lives around me.  Why are these things happening?  Why are they happening now?  Why are they happening like this?  I've been working my way through the book of Psalms, and today I arrived at one of my favorite Psalms.  I know these verses are taken somewhat out of context, but I think sometimes God allows us to separate them--just a bit--from their original context so that the message can meet us where we feel our deepest need.  In the midst of my questions and grasping for peace today, I read this:

"When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood." (Psalm 73:17)

This is where I stopped.  Till I entered the sanctuary of God.  Nothing makes sense outside of that quiet place.  That place reserved for just Him and me, with no distractions.  It's not that I don't bring the circumstances in with me.  It's that the dust settles while I'm in there.  It's quiet.  It's peaceful.  And He's there.  Then I understand.

Understand the why's and the how's?  No, not always.  In fact, not often.  Today I came out of that "sanctuary" place with no more answers than I had going in.  But I did leave with something.  Peace.  It reminds me of another Psalm:

"Be still and know that I am God."  (Psalm 46:10)

Be still.  Know that I am God in the midst of this--not apart from this.  Be still and know.

I skimmed through the next chapters of Psalms.  I found verse after verse that I'd highlighted over the years.  I could write for hours about the promises found there: promises of peace, blessing, God's presence.  Over and over, the message that "I choose the appointed time," and "I love you with an unfailing love."  I know He has our good in mind.  I know He walks beside us through every storm.  But sometimes the questions and the uncertainty are all we can see.  They swirl around us and threaten to pull us down.

"I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood."  Not what is going to happen.  Not even why things are happening.  But that the most important thing is that there is a sanctuary.  A place where I can go to meet with Him and seek His peace.

"But as for me, it is good to be near God.  I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."  (Psalm 46:28

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more