Thomas

I had my fears for each of the kids in adding a third baby to our family. I didn't expect Henry to struggle with some aspects as much as he did, but I was pleasantly surprised that Thomas wasn't feeling overlooked or lost somewhere in the middle. I think it's happening now. I don't know if he even associates it with Cora and the fact that she's not going back where she came from or if there's just a small shortage of attention all around, but my middle child is feeling, I think, like a middle child. So, in honor of my poor, forsaken, overlooked second-born (I listened to my sister's take on middle-child-ness for years...), here's a post just for him of all the cute things he's done lately. Maybe it's to prove to myself that, yes, I have been noticing him...


Thomas is my little lover of all things pretend these days. These are what he calls his "superhero clothes." The hats are interchangeable. For example, tonight he insisted on wearing this get-up to watch our guys and girls play volleyball, but added a cowboy hat ("So I look like Donald Duck--yeehaw!") and new brown shoes, ("Now I hook petty cool, Mommy.")


His great love continues to be coffee, although he's never tasted it in his life. He usually has a spare mug along for the ride in the stroller, in case the caffeine craving gets to be too much before he can get home again. He's a wonderful cook all around, spending hours making pancakes in the play kitchen and setting up elaborate picnics for me often. I sometimes look at him and wonder (and pray!) if he'll be a chef. My poor family would benefit from SOMEONE who can cook at get-togethers...


He's also a cell phone fanatic. He's had a long-standing love affair with phones (again, he can't possibly be my son!). He currently has no fewer than 5 old cell phones that often go on walks with us (along with the coffee cups) so that he can make calls to all his friends and family. Several times recently, in the midst of a pretend phone call, he's held his hand up to Micah or me and said, "'Cuse me. I am on the phone. Please be quiet so I can hear. Thank you."

Micah needed to run some errands with our ARD, Tuiny, this afternoon. Thomas ADORES Tuiny. He spent the whole day asking for them and pouting when I told him they were at work. Micah asked if I wanted him to take one of the kids with him to the store. I pointed at Thomas. The boy needed attention desperately, and I couldn't think of anything better for him than some time out alone with his two heroes. He raced back into the apartment and practically threw his little monkey shoes at me. I couldn't help but smile as I watched him strut out the door behind "the men." I seriously think in his little mind he was ten feet tall. I love that impetuous, not-so-easy-to-overlook little guy.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more