Mission Motivation

I think I hit on something today.  Desperate to get the boys to cooperate with clean-up (without the nagging that often accompanies it), I looked at Henry and said, "Secret Agent Henry, I have a mission for you.  Are you prepared to accept your mission?"
His ears perked up and he looked at me tentatively.  "What's my mission, Mommy?"
"It's a dangerous one, but I think your training has prepared you.  Do you accept?"  I had him now...
"I need an agent to relocate this truck.  Can you do it?"  He was all over it.  After about two missions, Thomas chimed in.
"Mommy, can you call me 'Secret Thomas?'"
"Sure, Secret Agent Thomas.  Do you need a mission?"  He nodded.  "OK, I need you to take the super secret spy disguise tie and put it back in the closet for the next top secret mission.  Can you do it?"

I wish I could tell you how quickly we got our very messy house cleaned up!  After everything was picked up, I ran the vacuum through.  They begged and pleaded for more missions.  I promised we'd do our civic duty when I was done and take recycling out.  Mission accomplished.

I know two little secret agents who will have plenty of missions in days to come...  Who knows?  Maybe I can envision a clean house...?  Let's not get carried away...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more