Laugh or Cry

Weekends have a tendency to place our apartment at its worst cleanliness-wise.  Mondays always come with one thing on the to-do list:  shovel out the house.  Today is no different.  In an attempt to keep my sanity, I decided to tackle the rooms one at a time this morning.  Micah had a little heart-to-heart with the boys and asked them to help me pick up the living room floor today.

About 5 minutes later, as I was putting clothes away in our room, Henry came racing down the hall excited.  "Mommy, Mommy!  Come see!  I cleaned up everything!  Come, I'll show you!"  He went racing down the hall (in his underwear--things like getting dressed get put on the back-burner on Mondays...).  We got to the living room and, sure enough, the floor was clear.  And then I saw it:  Mount Everest.  He had stacked everything he could find in the living room into a basket, and he was beaming.  I had no choice.  I grinned and said, "Oh, Henry, thank you!  You did a great job picking up the floor!"

Another 5 minutes passed, and I decided to walk our garbage down the hall to the trash room.  As is usually the case, Thomas followed me out repeating his little mantre, "I he'p Mommy.  I he'p Mommy."  As is also usually the case, once the bags were safely in the trash room, he took off running down the hall in the opposite direction--in nothing but his diaper.  He squealed and yelled over his shoulder, "Can't catch me!  I Gingerbread!"  I regretted ever introducing them to the Gingerbread Man story as I took off down the hall full-speed.  One time he got around the corner just ahead of me and ducked into the elevator as it was closing, so I make it a point to keep up.  Even when I'm six months pregnant.  As I sprinted down the hall, hearing his little taunts and seeing his little diapered bottom waddle at full speed, I had no choice.  I laughed.  Hard.

These are the mornings that make you want to laugh or cry.  I hope I continue to laugh!  And maybe manage to get a little housework done in between the antics.  I should probably put the computer down, though.  Henry's trying to clip a clip-on tie to Thomas' diaper...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more