Writing a Book

Many of you who follow me in my "real life" (that would be facebook) have seen posts recently about a book.  In fact, you may have noticed the little picture off to the side here.  Yes, it's true.  I've written a book.  The proof copy arrived today in the mail, and once I've made my final revisions, it will be available for purchase!  Look for a link in the picture here in the next two weeks.

Now, you may be wondering, why have I been so secretive?  For two reasons.  For one, this was an incredibly intimidating process for me.  It's always been a dream of mine to publish a book. But actually sitting down and writing it, let alone letting others read it...  I wasn't sure I'd be able to write something worth publishing to begin with, and so I kept the endeavor mostly to myself.  It's actually because of those of you who read this blog that I attempted it.  Your frequent emails and requests for a book helped me believe I could write something you might enjoy reading.  So here it is: your book.

The other reason I've been reluctant to share much information is that I am a terrible salesperson.  I dread a sales pitch from anyone, and the last thing I wanted to do was burden all of you with the same.  So hear this clearly: I will not push my book on you!  In fact, other than the post that says the book is finally available, this is probably the last you will hear about it on here.  I just don't do pressure sales.  And I absolutely don't want you to stop reading this blog because it's too salesy.

So, with all of that behind us, let me tell you a little bit about the book, because I really am beyond excited!  Many of you have been asking for details, so here they are.  The book is called "Grace in the Moments--One mother's journey to deeper faith through the ordinary moments."  Long title, I know.  It's written as a prayer journal, as an ongoing conversation between God and me.  It's a book about the parenting journey; about how God uses the smallest, most ordinary moments in our lives to shape our souls for eternity.  I am passionate about this idea!  I am holding tight to the little moments, because they are all we have--both in terms of the memories we want to hold on to and in terms of the lessons God teaches us.  When we live out our parenthood as a training ground, I think he uses it to change us and others.  We're doing so much more than babysitting children here!  The book includes reflections, journals, and funny stories and quotes from my kids.  It's like you, as the reader, are a fly on the wall as God shapes my faith through motherhood.  I think it will make you laugh and at times cry.  I hope it causes you to take a second look at what is going on in your life so that you learn to leverage the ordinary moments to make a difference in the eternal realm.  Heady, right?  Don't worry.  The book is not.  It's a quick, casual read. 

So now you know all about this "Top Secret" project I've been working on.  Thank you, thank you to all of you who have asked for more and urged me to write!  You'll never know what an encouragement you've been on this journey!  I'll be posting soon to let you know that the book is ready.  It will be available in paperback and e-book versions from lulu.com in about 2 weeks, and from Barnes and Noble and iBookstore in 6-8 weeks.  Until then, back to my editing....



Popular Posts

Archive

Show more