My Big Girl

Today we started babysitting a sweet little 8-week-old.  She'll be with us every week day while her parents work.  All of my fears about balancing life with four kids are put to rest this morning as it's been a peaceful, manageable morning.  She's absolutely adorable, and the kids can't get enough of her.  I think we're going to make it...

A strange thing happened this morning, though.  My baby ceased to be a baby.  The second our little friend walked through the door, it seems, Cora grew by leaps and bounds!  Suddenly I noticed how tall she was, how clearly she communicated, how intricately she played with her little toys.  Amazingly, she's one month older than Henry was when we brought Thomas home.  Several people warned us in advance that he would suddenly seem grown up.  I was expecting it then (and somehow, it didn't seem like such a giant leap).  But Cora caught me off-guard.  I was watching for signs of jealousy, and they were completely absent.  Instead, I think she's convinced I've brought her a live doll to play with.  She's followed me around everywhere this morning, held her little arms out to our friend saying, "'Mere" (her version of "Come here"), like the baby was going to climb right up into her arms and play house.  She sits down beside her and just studies her, trying everything she can to be helpful.  I think she'll do just fine with a baby in the house, but it's a little bittersweet to see the last traces of my baby Cora vanish so suddenly.  I'll savor the baby sweetness of our little friend all the more, and revel in the toddler by her side, watching her every move.  My big girl.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more