Henry's Book Fair

Today was an absolutely crazy day.  It seems like every few weeks, the items on the calendar pile up on a single day.  We still managed to enjoy the day, but there was a lot of "not now,"  "maybe in a minute," and "I'm sorry, I can't" going on.  Actually, I feel like Henry has heard that from me a lot lately.  With four kids during the day now, my attention is even more divided.  It stands to reason that the youngest three require the most attention, and Henry is at school part of the time taking him away even more.  He's absolutely gotten the least of me.

So tonight, after all the craziness, I looked up at the clock and saw that it was 6:30.  Our dinner company had just left.  Henry's preschool had an open house book fair tonight that he had wanted to attend.  With all of the other events suddenly piled up today, we had told him we wouldn't be able to make it.  But our schedule was clear, half an hour before the end of the fair.  Micah and I had a spontaneous idea.  "Henry, if you can go get your shoes on now, you and I can go out to your school."  He practically skipped to the car.  He jabbered all the way there.  He held my hand as we looked at all the different books on display.  I told him he could buy a book if he found one he liked for five dollars or less.  He was so sweet, picking up books and setting them back down, saying, "That one was more than my budget, Mom."  He finally hit on a little Lego book.  He read it front to back right there.  I asked him what he thought when he finished.  "Just a second," he said as he flipped the book over.  "It's less than five, Mom!"  I asked him if he wanted it, and told him he could get it.  He squealed, "Thank you!" and skipped off to the check-out.  He spun around to make sure I was following, gesturing to hurry up.  That image is burned in my mind, and I hope I remember it for years. The unbridled excitement, the gratitude on his little face.  We paid for his little book and he asked if we could stay a little longer.  I told him of course.

He ran off to join the other kids running around the gym, coming back every few minutes to check in with me and say hi.  After a little while he found a group playing "Duck, Duck, Goose."  I smiled as I watched him dash around the circle and drop to his bum.  After a long while it was time to head home.  We loaded into the car (oh, how easy it is to load one child, especially when he can buckle himself!) and talked about the evening.  I cautioned him not to brag to Thomas and Cora about the fact that he got a book tonight, since they didn't get one.  He shrugged and said, "I know, Mom.  I was planning to tell them I picked it out for everyone to share."  I love that boy.

It was a great day today.  Busy, but great.  There were a lot of sweet moments, but none I will savor more than the spontaneous trip to the school, the time with just Henry.  As he was falling asleep tonight, I told him I was so glad we got to go to his party after all.  He sat up, threw his little arms around my neck, and said, "Me too.  Thanks for taking me, Mommy!  I love you so much!"

I'm trying so hard to savor all the moments, to stop and notice each child.  But I am so grateful for evenings like this one when time stops, all the needs are met, and the way is clear to freeze the memory of a sweet, grateful little face forever.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more