Showered with Love and Laughter

Last night we planned one of the most difficult events I've ever endeavored.  My best friend is expecting a baby who is not expected to live long after birth.  So last night we had a shower to celebrate little Elijah's life, while this sweet baby is still with us.  We wanted to surround Elijah's family with love and cover them with prayer.  I won't lie.  My stomach has been in knots for days planning this shower.  I struggled with the notion that saying or doing the wrong thing might add to their pain.  I didn't want to make things harder, but I couldn't stand the thought of not getting together to rejoice in this child God has given to them--and by extension to us--for this time.  We shared letters with words of encouragement, comfort, and hope.  We included Bible verses and song lyrics.  I hope the words breathe new life into them in the days to come.  Decorations and snacks were simple-- some desserts and little footprints paired with an ultrasound picture to celebrate baby Elijah.  In the end we just hoped and prayed it would  be an encouragement and comfort, and not an added burden.

I could never have anticipated the evening we had.  As it turns out, we spent the entire evening laughing!  Not just chuckling, but the kind of laughter that leaves your sides aching and your cheeks sore.  I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard for so long.  There were five of us couples.  The girls knew each other well, but the guys all seemed to hit it off.  We had a great time!  After the laughter and many snacks, we spent some time gathered around Kyle and Brittani, praying for them and their sweet family.  And then we laughed some more.

I think it's funny that so often when we attempt to help someone else, we're the ones who are helped as well.  Micah and I went to bed reflecting on the evening and the laughter and friendship we'd found.  As it turns out, we felt we were the ones showered with love and laughter.  What a blessing!




Popular Posts

Archive

Show more