Becoming Us

Micah has been gone overnight for a retreat before the semester begins again.  It's only 36 hours, but this time it feels like a week.  It's funny the little things you notice when someone's gone.  Like observations I would have made to him.  Or the looks and inside jokes that no one is here to share.  The little moments we would have shared if he'd been home. 

Yesterday the phone rang.  I ran to answer it and as I pulled the phone off the cradle, a note from Micah fell out.  Reading the kids their Bible story at bedtime, I found another note.  It's one of those little things we've always done.  Whenever one of us is away, we leave notes for the other person hidden around the house.  It's so fun to discover them throughout the time apart.  Some of them are still in the places they'd been left, because I love seeing them as I go about my regular routine even when he's home.

Our lives have changed so much since we started dating 7 1/2 years ago.  We've changed so much.  But I love reflecting on the people we've become together.  As we settle comfortably into our seventh year together, it's amazing to realize we've taken on our own personality--one that's unique to the two of us together.  I guess that's the "two become one" part of marriage.  All I know is, I feel incomplete when he's away, even for such a short time.  I am blessed indeed.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more