With Help...

I am terrible (terrible!) at sitting and letting other people do things for me.  Absolutely awful.  My poor husband has been running around like crazy the past couple of days trying to balance the three kids, the house, his work, and meeting my needs (since, as we've heard, I can't even carry a cup of coffee for myself).  So many people have offered to help, and I'm eternally grateful.  I've tried to swallow hard and accept the help--for Micah's sake, if I can't do it for myself.  It's humbling to admit I can't do everything!  But I'm blessed to have wonderful friends and family.  Micah's parents took the boys on Saturday and had an adventure-filled day with them.  My parents booked a hair appointment for me and took Cora so we could go out kid-free for several hours.  A friend brought us a wonderful supper the night after I hurt my foot.  Another friend baked the cake for Henry's birthday party.  Yet another friend volunteered in the church nursery for me, since I was scheduled to work there this week.  I'm overwhelmed.

Still, it's so hard not to be able to do things on my own.  Today was Henry's fourth birthday party.  We've been planning it for weeks, and I had most of the work for it done.  All that was left was to set up... and I couldn't do it.  I can't describe how frustrating it is to sit on the couch, helpless.  I couldn't set up his party.  I couldn't chase Thomas down when he wanted to play.  I couldn't even go to Cora when she was crying, pick her up, and carry her to a chair.  I had to rely on Micah and my best friend to do the work for me.  How humbling.

It was worth it, though.  The party was a huge success.  Part way through, Henry shouted, "This is the best party ever!"  And my foot has continued to heal.  By the end of the evening I was able to (very gingerly) put just enough weight on it in a walking boot to get around without crutches.  Oh, the freedom!  I will never again take the ability to walk for granted!  In the meantime, I'm so grateful for the people around me who make these challenging times so much easier.

Oh, and here's the new hair cut.  Not the best shot, but I'm sure there will be more to come.  I love it! 


Popular Posts

Archive

Show more