Bronchitis and Ankles and Paint... Oh My!

What a day.  What a week!  I'll spare you most of the gory details, but suffice it to say it has been a week!  In the midst of some pretty significant life stressors, I got sick over Thanksgiving and have the kind of nagging cough that keeps you awake all night and interrupts every conversation during the day.  Our hallway (which was damaged when a pipe upstairs leaked two months ago) is being fixed this week, so we've had a repairman in our apartment all week.  I honestly appreciate that we don't have to do the repair ourselves, but anyone with toddlers knows the challenge of keeping them confined to one room for several days while an onlooker observes your every parenting move.  Last night, while we were at the Student Center, I was walking down a flight of stairs with the boys when I missed a step, rolled my ankle, and heard a "SNAP!"  I gave it a minute and tried to stand up on it.  I just about got sick.  I finally scooted to the bottom of the stairs and leaned against a wall as black spots covered my vision and the room began to spin.  Yikes!  Thankfully Micah had met the kids and me over there.  He texted some of our guys, who came and got the boys and brought them back to the apartment.  Another guy brought us some crutches from the hall so that I could get home.  And, yes, that is the reason they were washing my dishes last night while I sat on the couch.  I'm incredibly grateful!  I spent the night with my leg propped up, alternating ice and elevation, waiting to see how much swelling and bruising occurred to know whether it was broken or sprained.

I had made an appointment yesterday to see the nurse practitioner on campus this morning for the cough.  I had a sneaking suspicion my cold had turned into bronchitis.  I showed up there this morning with a cough... and crutches.  "Wow!  You've had some changes since yesterday!" was the nurse's comment.  Sure enough, she told me I had bronchitis.  Her words were, "I think it's just bronchitis for now, but let's get you on antibiotics right away so we're not looking at pneumonia."  Wonderful!  And sure enough, she said it looked like I broke my foot.  Thankfully she called in an order to a radiology office and we were in and out for an xray within 15 minutes.  No ER consultation, no long wait, and, hopefully, no hefty bill.  I should have a verdict by this afternoon. I'm incredibly grateful to my Dad who surprised us and came down to watch the kids too.  Talk about a life saver! In the meantime, back on the home front the hallway repairs have progressed to sanding drywall and painting.  We currently have a huge plastic sheet blocking the back of the apartment from the living room.  Let's just say I'm getting really good at navigating around the toys and tarps on crutches.  It turns out we'll be keeping it until Monday, because the kids went down for naps before he could finish...  I won't be able to drive myself anywhere because it was my right foot that I injured.  Until I can put weight on it, I can't even pick up Cora or push a stroller with the kids in it.  In fact, just now I wanted a cup of coffee.  I got it filled and looked at it thinking, "How on earth do I get it to the couch?!"  I crawled holding up my sore foot and made it just fine.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll have adapted and figured out a way to do everything else by Monday too.  Or maybe it's time for me to learn to accept help.  *Sigh*  NOT my forte, but no better time than the present to start learning.  Oh my...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more