Little-boy Innocence

Yesterday, one of our out-going RAs gave my  boys a huge bag of army men, cowboys and Indians, firefighters, and policemen.  I knew they'd be thrilled.  Just before I handed the bag over to them I had a moment's hesitation, knowing that most of the men were toting weapons.  I composed a little "life lesson" in my mind, and handed the toys over.  I should have had more faith in the little-boy innocence of my sons.

Henry held up the first figure, a cowboy looking down the barrel of a long rifle.  "Look, Mommy!  This guy's looking through a telescope!  I wonder what he sees far away?"

A few moments later, Thomas held up one of his figures.  He pointed to the plastic base and said, "Guy ride skateboard, Mommy.  Has skateboard!  Wheee!"

I sat there, watching them sort through the stack and basking in the innocence of their little minds.  I know all too soon it'll give way to epic gun fights and show-downs, and the world will teach them that things are never as simple as they seem at 3.  I cherish these little moments when my kids are just that: kids.  I hope we have many more days of telescope-toting, skateboard-riding action heroes!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more