My Glossed Over Life

Sometimes on rougher days (ahem, not that today was...), I like to open facebook, Pinterest, or a good old-fashioned photo album.  I pretend I just stumbled on my albums online and as I flip through the pictures, something funny happens.  The same old "I wish that was my life" feelings that I get when I've spent too much time looking at other people's pictures washes over me, and I begin to crave my own life.  I see the highlights (and, yes, they're glossed over, but still truly good moments).  I know the stories behind the pictures, and I even know the messes that were hiding just outside the frame or the meltdowns that happened right after the picture was snapped.  It still works.  I am drawn into my life.  I fall in love all over again with the faces.  I smile at the familiarity of the places in the background.  I beam at the projects that I've completed.  I want my life.

Maybe it's a mental trick.  Is that so wrong?  Sometimes the mental tricks are what keep us pushing forward.  Sometimes the glossed over moments are what we need to remind us that life is good.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more