The Nebulizer is Born

We are in the throes of breathing trouble around here.  Just like last fall, we're monitoring Thomas moment by moment, watching for signs of respiratory distress.  This past week the doctor added nebulizer treatments, and they've made a big difference.  For the most part, he's been pretty compliant with the whole process.  We're trying to teach him his symptoms, help him learn to slow down and assess, and treat as needed.  Still, he's a three-year-old boy.  He's full of energy and life, and the idea of a diagnosis of asthma feels like a punishment to him at times.

I thought he was coping pretty well overall until the other day.  He came shuffling into my room, downcast.  I asked what was wrong, and he said, "I wanted to be a superhero today, Mom, but they never have to stop for breathing treatments."

My heart broke.  Why on earth, I wondered, has no one come up with a superhero who has asthma?  I did my best to console him, but tucked it away in the back of my mind.

Today as we played, he complained that his tummy hurt.  We've learned to recognize that particular symptom as a consistent sign that breathing trouble is ahead, and I explained that to him.  I have a list of symptoms to watch for on the side of my fridge, and I began to dream up a way to illustrate them for him, so that he can be watching too.  And then it struck me: why not make a book with him?  Why not create a superhero who has asthma, who knows all about the "signals" that it's time to hero up?

And so, after much discussion with him, a hero is born.  Today we'll be working on creating his identity, his asthma-touched world.  The Nebulizer is born, and I hope he gives Thomas the confidence to face a childhood with asthma without feeling handicapped by it.

Let the adventures begin...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more