All I Want for Christmas...

It's been an interesting week around here.  Cora woke up with croup the other night, so we've been staying close to the couch and enjoying lots of snuggles.  The boys seem to be fighting something, too, because no one has strayed far from my lap and they've taken long naps every day this week.  I haven't accomplished much other than holding my babies, but it's been an incredibly sweet week.

We are finally emerging from our seclusion today, deep cleaning the house and enjoying a little more active play.  As I was making lunch today, I heard a thump and a horrible wail.  I came running and found Henry in the play room, blood pouring from his little mouth.  In between sobs, he managed to tell me that he had tripped on a wooden toy and hit his mouth.  He seemed to have put his bottom teeth through his upper lip.  We got the bleeding stopped and I got him calmed down (in the midst of it, I was taking muffins out of the oven, calming Cora after she opened a cupboard door into her own mouth, and reassuring Thomas that everyone would be ok--when it rains, it pours!).  It was then I noticed that he'd taken the brunt of the hit on his teeth.  I kept an eye on them throughout the afternoon.  There was no discoloration, but I had a feeling he'd damaged the roots.  Several hours later, once his mouth had started to heal and he was less traumatized, I checked his teeth.  Both loose.  I called the pediatrician just to make sure we didn't need to get him to a dentist.  They reassured me that since they're his baby teeth and he's almost five, we can let things run their course.  He will more than likely lose them in the next few weeks and have a little gap-toothed smile until they grow back.

He, of course, feels like he's arrived.  His most far-reaching goal in life, besides being allowed to chew gum when he turns five, has been to lose his teeth.  I gave him a haircut tonight, an event that usually entails a lot of screaming and howling from him.  He stood stoic and calm throughout tonight, and remarked that having loose teeth must have made him brave.  When we told him that our plans for tomorrow include a trip downtown to do some Christmas shopping, he lamented, "Well, I guess I'll have to stay home, because my teeth are loose."

December may prove to be a pretty lucrative month for him, what with his birthday, Christmas, and a first visit from the tooth fairy.  I'm just thankful it happened now and not after his permanent teeth had grown in.  I can speak from experience when I say that's an adventure we'd rather not live through!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more