Pirates on Fever Island

A sick day. Again. And it rained. All day. I can't even count anymore how many days we've had like this! I racked my brain this morning to come up with ideas to fill the day, because the prospect of another day inside four walls with three sick kids was daunting!

I'm still not sure where the inspiration came from, but during lunch I suggested we make the afternoon a pirate theme day. The boys couldn't have been more excited! Unlike our usual theme days (on the fly, starting mid-morning when I can't take the chaos any longer), I actually had a short nap time to work on some projects and had things more or less ready to go by the time they all woke up from naps! Here's a little record of what we did:

Real treasure: Kix and raisins in treasure chests. These were my naptime project. I made them out of Tylenol boxes (which, given the number of sick days we've had this fall, we had no shortage of). They probably would turn out even better if a person remembered to pick up glue sticks when they bought groceries. As it is, Scotch tape did the trick for their chests.

Making treasure (stringing old wooden beads on pipe cleaners) for their treasure chest, to add to the crowns and Christmas beads. I told him pirates called their treasure "booty." He thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard.

Following the map to the "Reading Cave" to find their buried treasure.












What could be more fun than trying on all that treasure?

Yes, Thomas is wearing a firefighter costume. He insisted he needed it to play pirates...




Their little first mate looked on while they sorted their treasure.



Thomas at the helm.

And walking the plank. Or, rather, jumping it.

Sweet little sleepy sailor.

After nice long baths and showing of Veggie Tales, we had supper: a cornbread pirate ship awash in a sea of beans. It was a HUGE hit!

And for dessert, treasure islands: blueberry muffins. Thomas asked why I stole their treasure chests to put on their dessert plates. I told him it was all about presentation. I'm sure it was appreciated by my 2 and 3 year olds...

And so, that's how we survived Sick Day #??? Maybe tomorrow I'll post pictures of some of our activities from yesterday. My creative brain (and antsy kids) are ready for some sunny, healthy days!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more