Cheap Date

Henry was in desperate need of some one-on-one attention. At least that was what he was leading me to believe. Either way, we set out on a little date this afternoon, just the two of us. I told him we'd go out and get a drink, ice cream, supper... whatever he wanted. His suggestion: the play area at the mall! What a cheap little date!

We had a blast playing on every single thing, talking away, just spending time uninterrupted together. We went on to run a couple of errands, including a quick trip to the eye doc to order contacts (he jabbered the entire time!). I offered him a choice: a little ice cream, or a trip to the dollar store to pick out one thing. He opted for the dollar store. We explored the entire store, weighing all the options, and talking about the benefits of every single item. I guess there are perks to living on a college campus. The vocabulary that fuels his constant conversation may be one of them... He finally settled on two little airplanes. He was so excited, talking about how his wishes had all come true, and how he couldn't believe how great his new airplanes were.

On the way home I asked how he'd enjoyed our little date. He looked serious and said, "Not so well, Mommy. I really didn't like going to the eye doctor. But I did get these airplanes, so it was a fun date."

An afternoon well-spent, and hopefully a little time away from his little brother and sister served to remind him that I do love him and love spending time with him. It was nice to have uninterrupted time to listen to his little stream of conversation and soak up my poor overlooked little firstborn!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more