Faces

Faces are amazing things when you really stop to think about it. Some features are so defined, but there are those little flickers of emotion, gestures, expressions. They're fleeting, but they give just a glimpse of someone else. I've been captivated by faces since Cora was born. It's been fun to see little reflections of Micah flitter across the boys' faces. Sometimes I see little pieces of myself in their expressions. Less frequently, I even see little bits of one of them in the other boy. Yesterday I lay down beside Cora and watched her sleeping. Just like any newborn, a myriad of expressions flashed across her little face in the few minutes I studied her. What amazed me was that the face I saw reflected her brothers, who in turn reflected their dad and me. It was like our little family had come full circle in her tiny face. It dawned on me that that's the nature of family. We're all interconnected, reflecting the things we've gotten from each other, as well as those expressions that are original to each of us. It's literally written on our faces, the fact that we belong together. It's a phenomenal thing, this family.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more