Best Kind of Gift

I didn't hold out high hopes for today.  I'm not a person who gets super sentimental about holidays or specific dates, but there is something in every person that, I think, wants to have a day that's special for them.  Today was my birthday and, unfortunately, it fell on the day Micah left for a four-day conference.  We went out on Saturday to celebrate.  I wasn't too concerned, but there was still that small piece of me that was sad I'd be spending the day at home alone with the boys.  I had no idea.

My best friend texted me this morning to see if we could get together.  When we got to her house, she had a basket of beautiful gifts and a cake she'd made for me.  We spent a perfect morning with her family, the kids playing outside in the pool and us sitting around talking.  They insisted I stay for lunch so that I wouldn't be home alone to feed the boys.  It was wonderful.  We came home and the boys went right to sleep for naps (the first time in several days for Henry--I would have taken just that for a birthday gift!), and I took a long nap with them.  They were wonderful today.  Henry wished me a happy birthday no fewer than 8 times.  They told stories and jokes, snuggled, gave me spontaneous kisses...  They were just a joy!

I'd gotten a call in the morning that a florist had delivered flowers to the campus post office for me.  After naps, we trekked over to pick them up.  There were a dozen roses waiting for me with a note from Micah.  It was perfect!  Dana, or "Ms. Dana," as the boys call her, had heard that Micah was gone and didn't want me to have a cake-less birthday.  She had gotten us a cake and candles so we could have a little celebration.  The boys were over the moon!

After bedtime, some of my closest girl friends came over for a chick flick.  They all came bearing snacks and we had a feast while we watched "Eat, Pray, Love" and talked.  We had so much fun!

I think the biggest blessing of the day wasn't gifts, or even the thoughtfulness of the people around me, but the awareness that God has richly, richly blessed my life in the past year.  I've been fortunate enough to have come from a close-knit family and married into a wonderful, close family.  I've never taken that for granted. But it's interesting to see the people outside of family that God has brought into my life this year.  Even when Micah is gone and our families are at a distance, I feel completely surrounded by people who love and care for me and my family.  What a phenomenal gift!

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more