Between the Chapters

Last week we deep cleaned the kids' rooms. We were bringing home a foster greyhound and anticipated he may have questionable manners when it came to toys and things sitting out. But, really, it was a good excuse to go through everything and really evaluate what needed to be kept and what needed to be let go. It took us the better part of the day. But when we were finished, we all found ourselves going in to the rooms just to look around, take a deep breath, and feel the freedom and freshness of it all.

We're in a similar season in all of life. Yesterday wrapped up the school year. Micah and the kids hugged their friends goodbye, packed up their things, and closed the chapter on this academic year. For Henry, it meant closing the chapter on elementary school completely, as he heads off to middle school in the fall. It was bittersweet, and I'd be lying if I said eyes stayed dry all day. But it was also exciting. The end of a chapter always means the beginning of the next.

I've written recently about my work in counseling. It's been a time of picking up each memory, habit, fear; of evaluating what needs to be kept and what needs to be let go. It's been freeing to watch some of the things that have filled my thoughts and hours drift away. I'm just beginning to imagine a different me, a me that's not tied so closely to all of those things. It's the beginning of the end of a chapter that's been woven throughout most of my life.

My career is on a countdown as well. For the past several months we've been thinking and praying about my role at the hospital. I've loved my work, loved my co-workers. But increasingly we felt like we were reaching the last few pages of that chapter. After a lot of deliberation, we reached a decision: I tendered my resignation. It was by no means an easy choice, but I really think it was the right one. Leaving my position will mean more time at home this summer with the kids. It will mean being there when Henry gets off the bus from middle school, something we've increasingly come to feel is important for our family. It will also mean time to rest, to focus on getting healthy physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. The past two years have been a bit of a desert for me in many of those areas, and I'm just now seeing glimpses of the life and health the next chapter may hold.

So, as the first days of summer roll over us we find ourselves slowly releasing the pieces of the last season. It's bittersweet, to be sure. The end of a chapter always is. But we also look ahead with anticipation, ready to discover what the next chapter holds. I have to believe it will be full of life and freedom and freshness.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more