First Hike

Since all of these symptoms began, I've had one goal in mind: to get back out on the trails and hike. It's always been my happy place, and through the years, hiking has been the hobby that's fueled Micah and me more than any other. I had to find a way to make it work. But I hadn't yet been brave enough to try.

Today was finally warm and sunny, and I was feeling pretty good. I had been doing some research into the most accessible trails in our area. We decided on a brief hike through a local nature preserve that is a very easy walk. The loop through the woods is only about a mile long, without much elevation. The entire trail can be wheelchair accessible if needed. If ever we were going to try this thing, this was the best way to do it. I told Micah before we left that I felt like I was about to go on a first date with someone everyone I knew had talked up--it just had to work out.

I took along my beautiful red walking sticks. We had the wheelchair in the trunk and a plan: if I got too tired, I would sit while Micah went back to the car to get it, and I would finish the trail on wheels. The walking sticks helped much more than I expected, and took the workload off my legs and gave me much-needed stability. I paced myself along the way, walking slowly and stopping for short breaks on the benches along the path. But I did it. I got back out on the hiking trails. It may look a little different--and there are certainly limitations--but I don't have to give up one of the things I love most.

That, for today, is enough to give me a new little dose of hope.



Popular Posts

Archive

Show more