Just For Laughs

I've been thinking all week about potential non-medical posts to lighten the mood on here... There have been some funny moments and some not-so-funny moments, but none of them seemed quite blog-worthy. So instead, if you'll pardon a more or less medical post, I thought I'd write about some of the humor that's gotten us through the last few weeks with smiles on our faces.

First, I've been no stranger to waiting rooms, labs, and tests of all kinds recently. I've put in more hours in those places than at home! I stumbled on this early on, and it's made me laugh as I've sat awaiting another scan:


Thomas has become a regular comedian recently, just in general. He's learning the art of timing and has an unbelievable knack for making me laugh out loud. It still surprises him when it happens, and more than once after he's made me laugh, I've heard him say under his breath, "Yes! I love being me right now!" Which only makes me laugh more--to myself.

Last week I asked if one of the kids could bring my cane up from the basement. It felt like it took forever for them to actually do it. Finally, Thomas appeared at the top of the stairs. He had my cane tucked under one arm and was hunched over it, panting. "Tiny Tom's [cough] coming, Mom. Just a few more [cough] steps." He hobbled toward me, then said, "The goose! [cough, cough] The goose!" I laughed so hard, I almost cried. His Tiny Tim (or Tiny Tom) impression was spot-on, and exactly the humor I needed in the moment. He's had several variations since then. When Micah ordered pizza the next night, he repeated the shtick saying, "The pizza! [cough, cough] The pizza!"

Over the weekend I used my cane for a school event. The kids vacillated between playing with it, and stashing it under the bleachers and hiding it with their coats. In one of the playful moments, Thomas grabbed it and pretended to be a soldier. "Look, Mom, it's my AK 47--no, wait-- it's my A-cane 47. Get it?" He was so proud of himself, I heard him repeat the joke about fifty times.

Meanwhile, Cora and her friend wrapped her stuffed monkey around the cane and did a little dance.

This, folks, is why I can't take myself too seriously no matter what medical mysteries we're facing. They are exactly what I need right now.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more