Growing Pains

Micah asked if he could borrow my blog today to post something that was on his mind. Here are his thoughts:

Every once in a while, one of our children will go through a growth spurt. We never know exactly when it's coming, although it seems to happen around every 6 or so months. While we don't know quite when a growth spurt is coming, we can tell when the kids are in one. They eat a little more. They seem to need more sleep, but their bodies have a hard time resting. Since they are tired, they also get a little bit emotional. They are shorter with their words towards others and less obedient. They cry more over things that seem minor. They sometimes complain about pain: sore knees, headaches, and general achiness. When we notice these things, we do what most parents would do-- we remind the kids that they are in the midst of a growth spurt. When they tell us that their bodies hurt and that they can't sleep, or when they are unkind with their words and have a hard time obeying, we tell them that we can tell they are once again in a growth spurt. We let them know that the growth spurt IS uncomfortable but that it will not last forever. And we tell them that the only way their bodies and minds get bigger and stronger is through growth, even if it is unpleasant at the time. Sometimes, we just hold them close and say,"I know this isn't fun. I know your body hurts and is tired. What you need is rest. Come and rest in my arms for a while."

As far as I can tell, I'm done growing physically (although my weight fluctuates from time to time). But even as a grown up, I go through growth spurts as well. They just look a little different. I think I am in the middle of one right now. Life has been busy lately. I'm teaching full time when I was expecting to just sub here and there. I am taking classes. I am a volunteer for Upward at church. I am on the Leadership Council at a church that is in major transition. I am on the Avalon School board. And I still have a wife and children who need my attention. I get tired. I get a little bit short with others. I lose sleep at night because I can't turn my mind off with all of the responsibilities I bear. And I worry that I am going to make a mistake and let others down. But when I am completely exhausted and ready to give up, I hear a voice calling to me. It says,"I know this isn't fun. I know your body hurts and is tired. But you're growing too-- you're learning to teach and lead and handle conflict. You're learning to be a better husband, father, and teacher. What you need is rest. Come and rest in my arms for a while." When I do finally take time to stop for a while and rest in His arms, I find peace. And I know that this season of growth will strengthen me for what lies ahead.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more