Cora and the Bouquet

Earlier this week I got a mug from work full of cake pops and silk flowers. Tonight I took the flowers and made a little bouquet for Cora. She carried it around the house everywhere and pretended she was a flower girl in a wedding. Tonight was her night to stay up, so she watched our wedding video. She was so little last time we had it out that I don't think she remembered it, but I loved her little questions.
Cora: Where was I at your wedding?
Me: You weren't born yet.
Cora: Oh, right, Jesus wasn't finished making me yet.
Me: Nope. He wasn't finished knitting you up--just a few stitches left.
Cora: Daddy, you'd better be careful with me. I think I still have a few loose stitches.

At bedtime, clutching her bouquet, she whispered: Mom, I think I'm going to marry Pappy (Micah's grandpa).
Me: Why is that?
Cora: Well, his wife is in Heaven, Mom, and I think he misses her. Maybe it would make him happy again.
I told her how sweet she was and explained about family and marriage.
Cora: Well, either way, I think I'm going to marry someone whose wife died, Mom, so I can make him happy again.

A few hours later I looked in on her and found her curled up on her pillow in a corner of the room, covered in the baby blanket my grandma made her, clutching the bouquet and sound asleep.

Oh, that girl...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more