Tea at Nine

Today we had our family birthday party for Henry. It was a lot of fun and not exceptionally wild, but all three kids have had a hard time settling in to sleep. Cora fell asleep in the hallway, Thomas finally dozed off on the floor, an open book in front of him. Henry came wandering downstairs at almost ten o'clock. He was rubbing his eyes, but still awake. "I just can't sleep. I've tried everything. Reading doesn't help. Laying still in bed doesn't help. Nothing's working." Most nights I would scold him for being out of bed, especially so late, but tonight I stopped myself. "Maybe a cup of tea? Would that help?" His little eyes lit up.

He followed me to the kitchen and looked at the clock. "Wow, Mom! Tea at nine o'clock--have you ever heard of something like that? Do you think anyone's ever had tea this late?" We sat down at the table and he jabbered away about his day while he drank his tea. About two sips in, he looked up at me and said, "Man, I'm really sleepy all of a sudden." I smiled and told him the tea must be working quickly. Another sip or two later he looked up at me again, "Think you could snuggle with me, for just a minute?" I pulled him into my lap and just held him. I soaked up the feeling of having him close, of how small he still feels in my lap. I took him upstairs and tucked him into bed.

It wasn't a big moment, but it was one of the little moments I know we'll both look back on and remember fondly. Sometimes a little grace, a few extra moments, and a cup of tea are just the medicine for a keyed-up little mind.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more