One Year

It's hard to imagine that one year ago today we moved to this little town.  In the midst of the whirlwind and the uncertainty, the morning of July 24, 2012 brought the first thunderstorm we'd had in weeks.  We stood by, all of our possessions piled into the lobby of our hall, waiting for the downpour to end.  The boxes that had already been carried onto the truck were completely soaked (in fact, the bottoms fell out of several of them when we tried to unload them a few days later!).  And yet, the past year has been one of blessing, of sweet peace in spite of the transition.  We have fallen in love with our new town.  We're thriving in our beautiful house.  We love our new friends.  Day by day, week by week, it's easier to imagine a long future in this place.  It's truly becoming home.

Purely by coincidence, I found myself taking old pictures off of our camera this morning, pictures that were taken in our first weeks here.  I can't believe all the changes in a year!  It's fun to see our house as the blank canvas it was a year ago.  While we haven't finished making improvements, it looks much more like "our" house after a year.  And the kids...  I'm amazed at the changes in all three of them in just one year's time.  Surely so many intangible things have changed too.  I know we've grown.  We've struggled and wrestled and learned.  We've grown and tried new things and found new ways of doing things.  We are different people and, I think, better for it.

One year, and I pray many more to come.  Who could have imagined thirteen months ago that we'd be here?  And yet I don't think there's anywhere else I'd rather be.


We're home!  Our first time coming "home" after a long ride from Indiana.


Ready to unload the moving truck!


Reading with my Dad the weekend we moved.

Pretending to watch TV while I unpacked.

Putting on a concert on the stair landing.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more