Seizing Opportunities

This winter has been a strange one, with wild swings in the temperatures outside.  One day we have snow outside--enough to build two little snowmen--and two days later, we're playing outside almost without needing a coat!  I've enjoyed the variety, but as I was reflecting on it the other day, I stumbled on a deeper truth.  We've tried hard this winter to seize opportunity when it's afforded.  When we finally got a few inches of snow, we took the kids outside to sled and build snowmen and enjoy the weather.  A day later, the snow was melted.  Yesterday was warm and balmy, and we went out for a long family walk in the sunny weather.  Today the temperatures are just barely above freezing.  We've learned this winter that we are not guaranteed a second day.  The opportunities we miss today to play in the snow or enjoy the warmth may not be afforded to us tomorrow.  It seems like a fitting parallel for life, especially life with preschoolers.  These days are slipping through my fingers faster than I think, and the promises to play that game, or read that book, or snuggle that extra few minutes "tomorrow" are not guaranteed.  I hope I'm seizing all the moments that I can while I can, and soaking up the blessings as they come.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more