9-1-What?

As the kids were getting ready for bed tonight, we heard a "Crash!" from the bathroom, followed by that sound every parent dreads:  the five-minute wind-up to the silent cry.  It's the kind of reaction that verifies that the pain is probably real--and pretty bad.  I came running to find Thomas sprawled on the floor, gasping and sobbing.  "What happened?  Are you OK?  Henry, do you know what happened (to which Henry shrugged and went back to brushing his teeth)?"  Finally, after several minutes, Thomas choked out, "Better... call.. 9... 1... 1."

I almost laughed.  Really?  "Why?  What happened?"

"I bonked two things at once, Mom, my head and my knee.  So you'd better call 9-1-1."

Turns out, you can fake the five-minute wind-up.  And here I thought it was the one thing that was drama-proof...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more