Unzipped Brain

Today I forgot Henry at school.  I didn't really forget him, but I forgot he got out an hour early.  I saw a couple of calls come through on my phone, but I didn't recognize the number and they didn't leave a message.  Finally, Micah called and said, "Did you forget Henry gets off early? The school just called."  My heart sank.  I could just picture him in the office in tears, now half an hour later than everyone else going home.  I rushed out the door, Cora in socks, and neither of the kids in coats, and found him in the office.  He was fine.

On the way home, I apologized over and over for forgetting him, and told him I was proud that he wasn't upset.  Finally Thomas, looking like he was deep in thought, spoke up from the back seat.

"Mom, is the zipper in your brain broken?  I mean, did you leave it unzipped or did it break or something?  Is that why you forgot Henry?"

That must be it.  When I forget to check my brain's fly, bad things happen...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more