Sweet Escape

It's hard to know where to start in writing about this weekend.  Several months ago, desperate for time away alone with Micah, I contacted my sister-in-law and asked if we could "someday" plan a weekend when they could come and watch the kids and Micah and I could get away.  As we compared calendars, the best weekend to pull it off fell on this weekend--which happened to be the same weekend Micah's parents had planned on visiting.  The more the merrier, we all decided, and plans were launched.

Everyone rolled in on Thursday evening and we enjoyed a quiet evening and morning together.  Once the boys were at their schools, Micah and I set out for St. Charles, MO, a quaint historic little town about two hours from here.  We enjoyed two days at our own pace: snacking when we wanted to, strolling through shops (full of breakable things!  It's the little things you appreciate when you're kid-less in the middle of this life stage...), eating supper at a restaurant late in the evening, lingering over our meals.  We enjoyed the beautiful old buildings on the colonial main street, took a long nap mid-afternoon, and picked out paint samples for our kitchen at Lowe's (sometimes it's not the exciting things, but the things that are just simpler without kids in tow that you enjoy!).  All in all, it was just what we needed: time to unplug, slow down, and take a deep breath.  It was wonderful.

Meanwhile, the kids had a blast.  They thrived on the attention from four grown-ups.  Cora went shopping while the boys were at school, pushing her own little cart and filling it with all the things she was sure we needed.  They all snuggled on the couch and watched "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," went hiking, picked out pumpkins at the pumpkin patch, and carved them.  They baked together, relaxed on the new hammock they'd brought, and read book after book.  Everyone was beaming when we walked back through the door this morning, chattering at once about all the adventures they'd had.

My heart is full, and I am thankful beyond measure for families we love and who love us deeply; for the influence of wise, godly relatives in my kids' lives.  They adore and admire their grandparents and aunts and uncles, and I can't begin to express how thankful I am for their example and relationships with my children.  I know they will have wisdom and words through the years that Micah and I could never share in the same way.  I cherish every moment my children have with their family.  I'm so grateful for time away, for a husband who wants to spend time with me, and for how refreshed and re-connected we both feel after these times by ourselves.  I know too well how rare both of these gifts are, and I'm thankful beyond words for these treasures!

Thomas burst into tears when their cars pulled out of our driveway, and he's been crying often since then.  I have to admit, I swallowed a little lump in my throat too.  These moments with family are so sweet, and cherished even more as the miles separate us from each other.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more