Saving His Breath

Henry appears to be coming down with bronchitis.  His wheezing has increased over the course of the day (what is it with our family and breathing problems this year???), his fever has climbed, and his cough has become more barky.  He decided that he probably shouldn't speak unless he had to, so he's been mostly quiet all day.  I asked him several pertinent questions before bedtime and he squeaked out barely audible answers, or stuck to nodding or shaking his head.  Thomas, seeing that my attention was very much divided, seized the opportunity to drag bedtime out as long as possible.  I'd asked him several times to change into his pajamas.  Finally, exasperated, I said, "Thomas, I've asked you three times to put your pajamas on.  It's time to obey."

Henry slowly lifted his head from the pillow, pale and wheezy.  He shook his head, and then squeaked out, "Six times, Mom.  You've asked him six times."

I'm glad he's saving his breath for important things...

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more