50 Miles

 A few months ago, Micah and I began a virtual challenge. I love Egypt, and at the time, I was working through the emotions of another flare-up and how my health would inevitably be a factor in all of our future travel. So, we decided on a virtual "walk" to the Pyramids of Giza. 50 miles in 50 days.

The first many miles were logged in a wheelchair and on the tandem bike (and, let's be honest, I barely pedaled). It was more Micah's accomplishment on our behalf than my own. But as the weeks rolled by, much to our amazement and surprise, I was able to do more and more. We wrapped up our challenge with a 3.5 mile walk--on foot, and at a good pace! 

We hesitated to acknowledge what was happening at first, because false hope is discouraging. Gradually, though, it's become impossible to deny: after six months, I am in a recovery phase. 

I am able to work in the morning, and still participate in social activities by afternoon. I can spend an hour or two working in the garden. I can go for short hikes, moderate walks, and long bike rides. I still need naps every day, I still have to pace myself, I still need a few days to recover when I push too hard. Those things will always be there (as will the knowledge that we'll continue to cycle through good and bad stretches). But as the weather warms up and our summer calendar fills with fun activities, I'm so glad I'm more able to participate!

Here's to 50 days that marked progress (what a great surprise!), and to 50 miles logged together!






Popular Posts

Archive

Show more