What He's Made Of

Henry emailed me from school yesterday and said he'd written a poem and translated it word for word into Spanish. The translation wasn't perfect, but it was so much fun to read that I asked him to send it in English too. Here is Henry, through his own eyes. I absolutely love it.

What I’m Made Of 

Of blue rain and sledding, 
of fog and green trees, 
That’s what I’m made of. 

Of buzzes and dings,  
and happier things, 
That’s what I’m made of. 

From Disney to Lincoln, 
and Canada too, 
to Weisser and back 
are places for you. 

Of treehouse and games, 
and hopefully fame, 
That’s what I’m made of. 

From math to games, 
and schoolyard fame, 
my memory and eyesight are bad, 
I love math and art, 
and I have a big heart, 
and I try to follow the fads 

Smart, funny, and weird 
(I want a big beard), 
These are the things that describe me. 

A tree fall, mom’s job quit, 
a gaining of much wit, 
These are the things in my life. 

Mom, dad, and bro, 
and my sister all go 
Into this family. 

Food, toys, and clothes, 
also things that I loathe, 
These are what matter to me. 

And that’s what I’m made of. 

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more