Bunk Buddies

Cora's been in the throes of 3-year-old nightmares.  For almost a full year she's fallen asleep most nights outside the boys' door.  On the weekends she has sleepovers in their room, and every single night without fail she asks, "Is it a school night?  Can I sleep with my boys?"  Finally this week we came up with a plan: time for new bunk buddies. 

We made the big switch last night.  Henry moved into the room Cora's been using.  He was so excited to have his own space!  He took two hours organizing his things, setting his books and art supplies and toys up just how he wanted them on the shelves in the room.  I went in to check on his progress, and he said, "Mom, this is great!  I have this whole room to myself and I can do anything I want!  I can wear whatever clothes I want, stay up as late as I want, leave a mess..."  We had a little chat about how most of life will remain unchanged despite his new circumstances, but it's fun to see him so excited. 

Thomas and Cora, for their part, are really excited!  Thomas moved up to the top bunk and set up all his toys on the shelves up there.  When I first presented the idea to him (I wanted to make sure he was cool with the idea of having his little sister in his room), he shrugged and said, "Yeah, Mom, she'd probably really like that.  That's fine with me."  He's loving having her in there.  We set everything up in the rooms and then I sent the kids to get ready for bed.  I couldn't find Cora anywhere.  Finally I went into their room and there she was, tucked into her bed with the covers pulled up to her chin.  She's slept like a baby each night since, and she's been Thomas' little shadow everywhere!

I don't know who long the new situation will last, but I think we're all enjoying it for now.  I love that Cora, especially, has a bunk buddy in her protective big brother.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more