My Little Teachers

Today at church I found myself thinking about what it means to be loving.  I breathed a little prayer that I would learn to be more loving, to love in a carefree way, "like Cora does."

As the words echoed around in my mind, I reflected on how many times I've prayed similar prayers through the years: that I'd have joy like Henry, that I'd have passion like Thomas, that I'd love simply like Cora.  I know, of course, how many times I've found myself praying things like that.  But I'd never reflected on how much I've changed because of my children.  Being their mother has changed me.  But watching them, as much or more, has transformed me.  If I am braver now than I was before, it's because I've watched Thomas stand up between two friends and urge them to stop fighting; because I've seen him many times ask to take the punishment that someone else deserved.  If I am a good teacher, it's because I've watched Henry sit for hours painstakingly teaching his sister to write letters, or his brother to sound out words.  If I am an encouragement and a balm to others, it's because more times than I can count Cora has slipped her little hand into mine, or laid a hand on my shoulder and dried my tears.  If I am filled with joy, it's because I've watched them laugh and live without a care in the world.  If I can forgive more easily than I did before, it's because I watch them over and over again forgive each other, forgive us, forgive me.  I am placed in their lives to teach and to guide--and I hope I do that.  But the truth is that they have so very, very much to teach me. 

I smiled as I prayed this morning.  I have many wonderful, worthwhile role models from whom I can learn.  I'm so grateful that my three very small children are among the most influential in that realm.  It's a gift to be able to pray words like, "Make me more like Cora," and to know that I can think of no better example of that simple love than the one I see in my tiny daughter.

Popular Posts

Archive

Show more